Often somewhat overlooked as a holiday, Presidents Day may not evoke the same kind of excitement and anticipation as Valentine’s Day and the big game.
But the day observing George Washington’s birthday does have one leg up its fellow winter holidays. The first major shopping holiday of the year, Presidents Day boasts some of the best shopping deals of the season.
During Presidents Day sales, you can score deals on appliances, mattresses and a variety of products from major retailers. Many sales begin as early as Feb. 4, and run for days after the official holiday on Feb. 15. That means that even if you don’t get Presidents Day off from work, you’ll have plenty of time to shop the weeks-long sales.
To help you navigate the countless sales that are already beginning to pop up, we’ve included a guide to some of the best Presidents Day sales of 2016 below.
Target Presidents Day Sale
Target’s Presidents’ Day sale kicks off on Feb. 7, and will feature discounts on a wide array of home goods and furniture. Highlights include:
- 25 percent off mattresses and bed frames
- Up to 25 percent off home items
- Up to 25 percent off dining and entertaining products
- Up to 25 percent off furniture
- Up to 25 percent off lighting
- Up to 25 percent off décor
Best Buy Presidents Day Sale
If it’s a microwave you’re after, you’re in luck. Presidents Day is one of the best times of the year to find deals on appliances, and Best Buy’s Presidents’ Day sale is one of the best opportunities to buy them.
The Best Buy sale will run until Feb. 24, and feature up to 30 percent off major appliances. You can score great deals on everything from microwaves and stovetops, to refrigerators from top brands like LG and Samsung. In addition, if you shop with a Best Buy credit card, you’ll get 5 percent of your purchase back in the form of loyalty points.
Macy’s Presidents Day Sale
In honor of George Washington’s Birthday, Macy’s will offer 20 percent off storewide and online, as well as free shipping on orders over $75. Macy’s will also offer 40 to 50 percent off women’s clothing, including blouses, jumpsuits, jeans, sweaters and more from top designers.
Sears Presidents Day Sale
One of the most diverse sales, the Sears Presidents Day event will feature discounts on a wide variety of products, including brand-name appliances, mattresses, jewelry and fitness equipment. Some of the highlights from the Sears sale include:
- Up to 40 percent off Kenmore and top brand appliances with free delivery
- 20 percent off fine jewelry over $100
- Up to 50 percent off select tools
- 10 percent off patio furniture with free delivery on orders over $499
- 30 percent off or more on featured fitness equipment
- 15 percent off footwear
Kmart Presidents Day Sale
Kmart will release Presidents deals throughout the month, though the bulk of its best sales are to occur on Presidents Day weekend. Head to Kmart during the holiday weekend to take advantage of special offers on toys, appliances and more. Top deals from the Kmart Presidents Day sale include:
- Up to 30 percent off major home appliances
- 15 percent off fine jewelry
- Buy one, get one pair of shoes at 50 percent off
- Up to 25 percent off swing sets, trampolines and outdoor playsets
- Up to 25 percent off baby gear, furniture and bedding
Overstock Presidents Day Sale
Shop online at Overstock.com, and you can find deals on a huge array of items. The online retailer is celebrating Presidents Day by discounting everything from watches to mattresses to apparel. Highlights include:
- Up to 60 percent off mattresses and memory foam
- Up to 30 percent off clothing shoes and accessories, with an extra 20 percent off
- Up to 55 percent off bedding and bath items
- Up to 30 percent off lighting
- Up to 25 percent off kitchen and dining
- Up to 55 percent of Palm Beach jewelry, plus an extra 10 percent off
Presidents Day Shopping Tips to Remember
When it comes to navigating any major shopping event, preparation and research are key if you want to land the best deals and avoid overspending. Before you head out to begin your Presidents Day shopping, review these tips to ensure you get the most out of the experience:
Make a list. Surrounded by so many great deals, it can be easy to spend more that you intended to. To avoid impulse buys, make sure you create a list of the things you need – and stick to it!
Do your research. Before making a major purchase, be sure to research reviews and product information. It’s a good rule of thumb to stick to trusted brands, rather than purchasing off-brand appliances and electronics.
Shop online. Many retailers offer exclusive discounts to their online shoppers, in addition to free shipping or in-store pickup. When shopping online, you also have to ability to search coupon sites to find coupons and codes that could multiply your savings.
Written by Maria Lalonde of U.S. News & World Report
(Source: U.S. News & World Report)