Some people wonder what they will do with all their extra time after they retire. They fear they’ll become irrelevant, aimless or out of sorts.
There’s no doubt there are some pitfalls of retirement, such as boredom, loneliness and even depression. That’s why retirees should decide what’s important to them, plan out their future and appreciate retirement for the exceptional opportunity that it really is.
To get you started, I recently spoke to a variety of retirees about their lifestyles. Here are the dozen favorite things about retirement retirees cite most often.
1. I’M FREE OF THE DRUG OF AMBITION
2. I CAN CATCH UP ON MOVIES I’VE ALWAYS WANTED TO SEE.
3. I KEEP UP ON CURRENT TV PROGRAMS
4. I JOINED A BOOK CLUB
5. I CAN STILL WORK PART-TIME
6. I BABYSIT MY GRANDCHILDREN
7. THERE’S TIME TO GIVE BACK
8. TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL
9. I HAVE THE TIME TO DO NOTHING
10. I’M LIVING MY DREAM
11. THERE’S NO PRESSURE, NO STRESS AND NO PROBLEMS
12. I DO WHAT I WANT TO DO, INSTEAD OF WHAT OTHER PEOPLE WANT ME TO DO
Written by Tom Sightings of U.S. News & World Report